Summer reads

maandag 10 juni 2013



I'm leaving for Greece in a week, so yesterday I spend my afternoon roaming the bookstore for some good holiday reads. After careful consideration I've picked these four to come and spend their summer on the beach with me.



I can't tell you if they're any good yet, but this is what they're about:

Lisa Jewell is my go to author when I feel like reading some chick lit. Some of her books are traditional 'boy meets girl' stories, but others (like this one, I suspect) just have a main character that is a girl and are easy to read. This is what Amazon says about the book.

Wonder, by P.J. Palacio, was written as a children's book, but according to the reviews it will appeal to all ages. The only children's book I've read as an adult is 'Stargirl' by Jerry Spinelly and I really liked that, so I'm hoping for something along those lines. This is what Amazon says about the book.
 
The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce, caught my eye because of the title. And then the back flap read: "When Harold Fry leaves home one morning to post a letter, with his wife hoovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other." Now that made me curious. This is what Amazon says about the book.

I always like a book that has music as a theme. They're usually about guys that have an intense passion for music and struggle with the fact that their own (love)lives are not living up to the lyrics of their favorite songs. It seems to be a recipe for nostalgia and unlikely heroes. (Thanks to 'High Fidelity', in my head, the main characters always look like John Cusack). Telegraph Avenue, by Michael Charbon, is about two guys that run an all vinyl record shop which existence is threatened by the arrival of a music megastore. This is what Amazon says about the book.

0 reacties :

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Needle in the Haystack All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger